Today's learnings:
-Razor wire is actually easier to cut through than barbed wire, but is considered effective in combat situations for being a psychological deterrant.
-There's a "Barbed Wire History Museum" in Illinois.
-Horses panic more easily than other animals (which I guess I knew already but hadn't really considered)
I'll take this opportunity to present you with my favourite work research (discursion) discovery to date: Buzkashi
If you ever are at an awkward loss in a social situation, you could bring this up.
I was translating something about someone who went on a mission to Khandahar and then I thought to myself "I know literally nothing about Afghanistan, I wonder what kind of entertainment culture they have?" You know, because that's not only relevant, but also all I need to know for the text I'm working on.
If you ever are at an awkward loss in a social situation, you could bring this up.
I was translating something about someone who went on a mission to Khandahar and then I thought to myself "I know literally nothing about Afghanistan, I wonder what kind of entertainment culture they have?" You know, because that's not only relevant, but also all I need to know for the text I'm working on.
Then, unfortunately, I found their national sport. Buzkashi. Essentially it's like polo, but instead, guess what they throw around. Guess. I'll give you a clue, it's like a goat, but without a head. Still don't get it? Me neither. But it's a headless fucking goat. They try and toss it over a goal line into a vat or something.
I assumed someone had been trolling poor old Afghanistan's Wikipedia page, but alas, it's not only real, but a big thing in all the "-istan" countries. When the Taliban were calling the shots, they banned it for being immoral. I never thought I would agree with the Taliban on something, although I'm sure they were trying to stop the happiness and fun of fans and participants, and not injustice towards goats.
Really, Afghanistan?
![]() |
| What's wrong with soccer? |
Really, Afghanistan?
No wonder horses panic so much, they're afraid of having to partake in things like this.
Other discoveries:
-The BASE in BASE jumping stands for stuff you can jump off: Buildings, Antennae, Spans, Earth
-Anne Hathaway is next in line to play Cat Woman. What is she going to do, bore her victims to death?
Other discoveries:
-The BASE in BASE jumping stands for stuff you can jump off: Buildings, Antennae, Spans, Earth
-Anne Hathaway is next in line to play Cat Woman. What is she going to do, bore her victims to death?

I find your quick summation of the talents of Anne Hathaway to be just. I saw the last fifteen minutes of 'The Princess Diaries' by accident and I wish her nothing but a lack of success in her future.
ReplyDeleteIn the barbed wire museum I assume they have at least a wing dedicated to http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0o2Sl1EmBjM/S_S9U7ZIPqI/AAAAAAAAU64/iY3RmIQeTjY/s1600/Barb+Wire+%281996%29+%28In+Hindi%29.jpg
She's "the girl next door," but not even next door to you or anyone you know. Like the neighbour of a stranger. About as interesting.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, one could understandably assume there's a Pamela Anderson wing. I bet they get asked a lot and reply something like "No, we take barbed wire very seriously here!"